11.18.2012

ricotta, egg and arugula breakfast sandwich

I had the most wonderful breakfast this morning and great company to go along with it!

I love all things ricotta. It's a major ingredient in a lot of the food I eat, and I've honestly become a ricotta snob. :) I refuse to eat the packaged kind found in the refrigerated section of grocery stores--I will only eat the fresh Chellino ricotta I buy from Caputo's, Valley or Butera. It's so delicious and creamy and I have no idea how anyone can pass it up.

I was so excited when I found this recipe! I instantly fell in love with the idea of an egg, ricotta and arugula all together on a piece of toasted bread. My boyfriend and I enjoyed it a lot- so incredibly yummy. Seriously, one of the best things I've eaten for breakfast. The sandwich is visually appealing as well, so much so my parents couldn't pass up on trying one themselves. I was very happy that everyone enjoyed eating the sandwich as much as I did. You really have to try this- your view on breakfast may change forever. :)

I changed the ingredients a bit, but it's the same concept as the recipe I found. Feel free to adjust ingredients to your liking.

Ingredients: (makes 4 sandwiches)
4 pieces of whole wheat Italian bread
4 eggs (cooked sunny-side up)
About 3 cups of fresh ricotta (fresh is the best)
3/4 cups of water
4 cups of arugula
4 teaspoons of oil
A couple squirts of lemon juice
Salt
Pepper

1. Drizzle oil on a frying pan and let it cook on low heat for about 5 minutes until pan is hot.
2. Crack eggs into the pan and cover; let eggs simmer until the yolk is set

 

3. While the eggs are cooking, combine arugula, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl; toss gently



4. Next, mix fresh ricotta, water and salt in a separate bowl with a hand mixer. Mix until ricotta is creamy; add more water if needed

5. Toast bread until golden; top with ricotta, arugula and an egg. Sprinkle salt and pepper as needed.



Oh, and this happened too. Brett bought us Mickey and Minnie coffee mugs. Gotta love it :)



Hope you have a wonderful Sunday!

Stay beautiful,
Marina



1 comment: